Miro uses libtorrent-rasterbar
for bittorrent downloading. We had a copy of the libtorrent source code
portable section of our repository. Miro would compile
libtorrent as a Python extension along with all the other stuff to build
Miro binaries. Not any more.
Luc is almost done carrying my changes over to OSX 10.4, but as of today,
libtorrent-rasterbar is no longer in the
of our repository.
What does this mean?
For Windows, a clean build on our Windows build box went from taking enough time for me to make dinner, eat dinner, and then completely forget what I was working on (26 minutes) to 4 minutes. In my Windows XP vm, a clean build went from 8 minutes to 1 minute. Plus I fixed the unicode problems Miro had with Windows and libtorrent and updated Miro to use libtorrent 0.14.6 on Windows.
For OSX, a clean build on my mac mini running OSX 10.5.8 went from 17 minutes to 1 minute. Plus I updated Miro to use libtorrent 0.14.6 on OSX, too.
For gtk-x11, libtorrent is now a required system package. Miro will no longer compile its own libtorrent if you don't already have it installed. I'm pretty sure that most modern versions of the major Linux distributions have packages for libtorrent-rasterbar and the Python bindings.
We have a couple of other changes that affect the project structure almost done. I'll blog about them as they finish landing.
11/4/2009 - This is completed now. Many thanks to Luc who sorted out the issues I was running into with compiling libtorrent on OSX 10.4 with Boost 1.35.0.