We've been working on reducing the complexity of the code for Miro 2.6. We've done this in a few different ways and I want to summarize them here.
moved binary kit stuff to separate repositories
This dropped the size of the git repository for miro a lot. Cloning the repository is much faster now. Plus it's easier to build Miro on Windows and OSX from the source tarball.
moving libtorrent out of portable
On Linux, this allows us to rely upon Linux distributions to have packages for libtorrent (the Rasterbar version) and the Python bindings. We don't need to compile libtorrent as part of the Miro build process anymore. That dropped the build time like a rock, reduced the tarball size, and removed a bunch of issues from configuring and compiling Miro on Linux.
removing sorts.pyx and fasttypes.pyx
Removing these allowed us to remove the build dependency on Boost. That removes a bunch of assy code we had in the setup.py file. This also reduced the time it takes to build Miro on Linux.
adjustments to setup.py to be more whiny when things are missing
I added some code to the gtk-x11 setup.py to make it clearer when it's missing build dependencies. I then tested this on Kubuntu Karmic, Fedora 12, and OpenSUSE 11.2. Miro will still try to run if it's missing things--I'll look into this soon.
updated gtkx11 build docs
I went through and updated the build recipes in the gtk-x11 build docs page. I updated the recipes for Ubuntu Karmic, added recipes for Fedora 12 and OpenSUSE 11.2 (though it won't work because I couldn't find a libtorrent rasterbar package), and removed a bunch of old recipes that would never work. I'm planning to do Gentoo and some other distributions next.
I updated the build and runtime requirements lists, too.
This hasn't been done yet, but it'll happen soon. This will remove some build requirements and it'll make our lives easier since we'll only have to support one renderer on Linux. Supporting two takes a time and effort and we're only doing a so-so job of it. Better to cut xine loose and focus on gstreamer. I'm sorry that this will affect some people. I'm hoping to rework the code so that additional renderers can be released as separate packages like I did with frontends.
We're focusing on reducing the complexity of the codebase and build requirements to make it easier for new people to pick it up, build and contribute. If there's anything else we can do on this front--or better if there's anything YOU can help us do--let us know.