I finished the work to remove the binary kit data from the
miro repository today. Removing the binary kit data from
the repository changed all the shas. To alleviate the problems this
causes, I did the following:
- Ran a
git filter-branch --commit-filterthat added a line to the end of every commit message stating what the original commit sha was. The shas are referenced in Bugzilla, so this maintains the papertrail.
- Moved the "old git repository" to
miro.old. If you're building Miro versions prior to Miro 2.6, it'll probably be easier to do that in the old git repository because the binary kit material is there.
- Binary kit materials were moved to separate repositories.
The end result of this is that we went from 900mb for the repository and a full checkout to about 136mb. Clones are faster, it uses less space on disk, and you're not saddled with a bunch of binary date you probably aren't going to use. It's also much easier on the build boxes which are old and don't have a lot of disk space kicking around.
If you have any questions, comments, or problems, let me know.