So I was putzing around overhauling old Varium code which I haven't really touched in a couple of years when it occurred to me that the code I'm overhauling involves features I don't really care about--at least not at this stage of the game. This sudden realization caused me to re-evaluate what I was doing and take a new approach.
I took the testserver I wrote for Lyntin and expanded it into a series of modules and 1300 lines of code later I now have a working mud that has multiple rooms, heartbeats, multiple players, and a series of other things. More importantly, it gives me a good base to add on new features as I need them--giving me time to architect things as I go along rather than doing the whole thing up front.
I need to do a few more things before it has enough of a a critical mass to be interesting.