A few weeks ago, a friend of mine started a site called Nethack-a-day. It's fantastic---a Nethack game with color commentary one turn at a time. If you like Nethack, but haven't seen it, you're missing out.
As he was setting it up, he was looking at various systems he could build it with. I sort of wanted to say, "Yo, just use Pyblosxom." because I was pretty familiar with it (I spent the better part of 9 years maintaining it) and I knew it did 80% of what he needed. But I hesitated because I've been on the fence about switching to something else for a while now.
Then I committed a critical mistake. I said, "You know, Pyblosxom would be great for this, but how about I fix a handful of things first that'll make it easier to deal with." A handful of things turned into a massive overhaul of Pyblosxom ripping out a lot of the technical debt that had been accruing for years, re-imagining some of the bits I was never happy with and tweaking some things just because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Thus was born Douglas.
Douglas resembles many of the static site blog generator systems written in Python that exist. That suggests it was a silly idea to go and write it, but it has three compelling aspects that I think made it worth my time:
It's derived from a blog system I maintained and thought about for a long time, so it has all the sorts of things I would want in a static blog generator
I can continue to say, "I've been using the same blog system since 2002." Sure, it's not exactly the same system, but it's not like I have to go rewrite/reformat entries I wrote in 2002.
It has a nicer callback system that I think makes it more malleable when it doesn't do exactly what you want by default.
Right now it's in an alpha state: the test suite doesn't cover enough of the software; the docs are mediocre and in some cases are filled with outright lies; there are a handful of issues; and there's still a bunch of technical debt and some architectural decisions that sucked and are increasingly difficult to work around.
Regardless, about a month, 102 commits and 9980 insertions and 22828 deletions later, I'm now switching my blog over to my new system. And that's how I'm going to end 2013.