Input: Trigger rule project Phase 1


Last quarter, I finished up the suggester framework for Input. When a user leaves feedback, registered suggester modules would look at the feedback metadata and text and return suggested links. The suggested links would then show up on the Thank You page. Users could then read a bit about the link and click on it if it was appealing.

The first suggester I wrote does a search against SUMO kb articles to see if any of the kb articles seemed relevant to the feedback. Users frequently leave feedback about problems they're having that could be known issues with known solutions or even problems Firefox solves with features the user wasn't aware of. Because of this, it behooves us greatly to guide these users to the solutions that make their Firefox experience better. I wrote a post about that.

This project covers adding a new suggester that allows analyzers to set up trigger rules for suggestions which is stored in the database. When feedback matches the criteria for a trigger rule, then the suggestion is shown.

I pushed out the last code changes on September 9th, 2015. On September 25th, we created a trigger rule for feedback talking about Norton's addon and suggested a link for a SUMO kb article that talks about the problem. In the 5 days, 22 people saw the suggestion and 6 clicked on the link.

This blog post is a write-up for the Trigger rule project phase 1.

Read more…

Input: Moving to Django 1.8

Over the course of 2015, we've been reworking large parts of the Fjord codebase to do the following:

  1. ditch jingo and friends and other libraries that deviate from typical Django and aren't active projects
  2. reduce complexity by moving closer to a "default/typical Django project"
  3. upgrade to Django 1.8

This blog post covers many grueling details including order we did things, design decisions we made and some anecdotes.

Read more…

Input: 2015q2 quarter in review

2015q2 was a bit slower bug-count-wise than 2015q1, but we got some important things accomplished.

Things to know:

  • Input is Mozilla's product feedback site.
  • Fjord is the code that runs Input.
  • We maintain project details and plans at
  • I am Will Kahn-Greene and I'm the tech lead, architect, QA and primary developer on Input.

This is the quarter in review for Mozilla Input!

Read more…

Input: Thank You project Phase 1: Part 1



When users click on "Submit feedback..." in Firefox, they end up on our Input site where they can let us know whether they're happy or sad about Firefox and why. This data gets collected and we analyze it in aggregate looking for trends and correlations between sentiment and subject matter, releases, events, etc. It's one of the many ways that users directly affect the development of Firefox.

One of the things that's always bugged me about this process is that some number of users are leaving feedback about issues they have with Firefox that aren't problems with the product, but rather something else or are known issues with the product that have workarounds. It bugs me because users go out of their way to leave us this kind of feedback and then they get a Thank You page that isn't remotely helpful for them.

I've been thinking about this problem since the beginning of 2014, but hadn't had a chance to really get into it until the end of 2014 when I wrote up a project plan and some bugs.

In the first quarter of 2015, Adam worked on this project with me as part of the Outreachy program. I took the work that he did and finished it up in the second quarter of 2015.

Surprise ending!

The code has been out there for a little under a month now and early analysis suggests SUCCESS!

But keep reading for the riveting middle!

This blog post is a write-up for the Thank You project phase 1. It's long because I wanted to go through the entire project beginning to end as a case study.

Read more…

Ditching ElasticUtils on Input for elasticsearch-dsl-py

What was it?

ElasticUtils was a Python library for building and executing Elasticsearch searches. I picked up maintenance after the original authors moved on with their lives, did a lot of work, released many versions and eventually ended the project in January 2015.

Why end it? A bunch of reasons.

It started at PyCon 2014, when I had a long talk with Rob, Jannis, and Erik about ElasticUtils the new library Honza was working on which became elasticsearch-dsl-py.

At the time, I knew that ElasticUtils had a bunch of architectural decisions that turned out to be make life really hard. Doing some things was hard. It was built for a pre-1.0 Elasticsearch and it would have been a monumental effort to upgrade it past the Elasticsearch 1.0 hump. The code wasn't structured particularly well. I was tired of working on it.

Honza's library had a lot of promise and did the sorts of things that ElasticUtils should have done and did them better--even at that ridiculously early stage of development.

By the end of PyCon 2014, I was pretty sure elasticsearch-dsl-py was the future. The only question was whether to gut ElasticUtils and make it a small shim on top of elasticsearch-dsl-py or end it.

In January 2015, I decided to just end it because I didn't see a compelling reason to keep it around or rewrite it into something on top of elasticsearch-dsl-py. Thus I ended it.

Now to migrate to something different.

Read more…

Contents © 1996 to 2015 Will Kahn-Greene - Powered by Nikola CC BY-SA 3.0